Thread: General: 70: - Advice on XC90 purchase - please help
View Single Post
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 09:39   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairew View Post
Hi still looking for a car. I couldn't find a forum that was appropriate just on the XC90. My husband just can't get past the price for the age and high mileage, I don't know enough about the reliability of this car really. I have looked at the Rav 4 etc, but its not my type of thing. We can get an XC90 which about 11/12 years old with about £120,000 or more on the clock, but he is very unsure, and I can understand. He doesn't want to spend £4,000 or more then get repairs bills. If anyone knows more please help, thanks.
I think you would be unlucky to recieve a 4K bill outside of engine replacement or gear box failure and to be frank engine and gear failures are £0000s on any vehicle.

I would budget £100 for gear oil change (do it yourself its not hard), 50 for haldex oil and filter change, £250 for cambelt, idler, tensioner etc (cambelts get changed by dealers etc when really its the tensioner and idlers that tend to fail) and £150 for other service items, say £750 for a full thorough and preventative maintinance once over which should set you up for a long time and minimis any risk.

If you are able to do the basics its a good car.

I would agree with the above posts, including mine, that if you intend to put this into a dealership and let them deal with it then its not the sort of car I would wish to run on a budget as it soon rack up.

Mine is having a new DEM on the 4x4 system which I could probably do myself fgor £175 and a morning in the driver way. Volvo want £400-500 quid and its not even a complex part.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote