View Single Post
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 15:46   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Bb;

"Compromised wire"...I suppose anything's possible, and you should go ahead and preemptively clean and refurb all connections related to Ch Sys in sight, but I wouldn't be surprised if this did not remove symptoms...sorry...

It's been a while since I had a new Brushes in my hand...perhaps someone could measure the working height of new ones and post...

Related Story: I specifically recall years ago...Leif Anderson, while visiting the US and joining us for the Mt. Snow Volvo Meet...when someone's Ch Sys failed due to short/worn Brushes, he nonchalantly walked by a bunch of guys up to their elbows in underhood Volvo dirt and Generator dust in the parking lot of an event (when we should have been hobnobbing and drinking Chablis with everyone else) and suggested simply putting the same Brushes back into guide with a 90deg twist, as they were worn shorter than in the wider dimension...this made them taller and able to get more preload force from the Spring...and it worked!...to return function of Ch Sys as a temporary fix...long-term, this leaves a step-wear in commutator so requires proper service including removing any step from commutator ASAP, but is a good emergency road fix in a pinch.

Remember: Output goes through Brushes in a Gen...poor connection...poor Gen output...simple as that!
Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: