View Single Post
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 22:18   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D60 View Post
Hi,

I bought a 2014 S60 D4 r-design a couple weeks ago then found this site. Car is great and the site is a great place for information.
Something's been niggling me about the stop/start function on the car though. I've always been of the opinion that to safeguard against damaging the turbo it is wise to let the engine tick over for a little while to let the turbo slow down while the oil is still flowing. If for example you have just come off the motorway and the car has to stop for whatever reason and the engine cuts out because of the stop/start function is this not going to cause premature wear on the turbo? Have manufacturers found a way round this problem or is it best to simple turn this function off when leaving motorways etc?

Thanks in advance for any advise.
This is my first post so I hope this is in the right place.

Andy.
The waiting for the turbo to stop and cool is an old wives tale from the 1980's ,modern turbochargers are watercooled so run at a greatly reduced temperature for it not to be a problem .. The older turbos would glow red hot after hard use of the turbocharger ...