Thread: XC70: Gearbox - Query re fluid change.
View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2021, 15:05   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Volvo XC70, 2011, AWD. 140,000 miles.
Auto. box believed to be Aisin Warner TF-80SC.
Daughter bought vehicle from main dealer Feb. ‘17 with 88129 recorded miles and 12 month Selekt warranty.
During warranty period experienced “clonking/thumping” when moving from N into D. This was reported to dealer who carried out an “adaption” under warranty which cured the fault temporarily but it returned in June ‘18.
Dealer agreed to check box again as original problem was reported during warranty period. Dealer advised that they had changed the “internal oil seals”. When asked if this had necessitated draining of the fluid they advised that it had but would not elaborate and didn’t sound very convincing. As they were not charging for this procedure I was reluctant to pursue the matter any further. The original problem has not yet returned and there have not been any TCM warnings.
As the mileage is now 140,000 miles and the consensus on this forum seems to be that a drain, flush procedure is advisable I am trying to ascertain whether this is required yet.
Is anyone able to confirm whether changing the internal oil seals would indeed require the fluid to be drained?
Fluid needs to be drained to replace the seals.

As the transmission has done 52k since its last fluid change, I’d suggest replacing it again.