View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2002, 20:16   #4
IJBrass

Peter, your reply struck a cord with me - an expensive one. Since new, my 1996 Volvo 940 turbo diesel estate has been noisy when cold - a definite clatterer. It was my company car and the Volvo dealer that did the first service after delivery said that the noise was normal. The car is now my own, has done 80k miles and the "clatter zone" has spread to higher engine temperatures - like pretty much full running temeperature. The noise when cold is also worse than I remember.

My local garage blames worn hydraulic tappets - says that the fluid leaks out of the tappet actuators at rest and it takes time for the actuators to refill (I think that's roughly what he said). The cost to correct is estimated at £350 and I need to know if the diagnosis is correct before letting the doctor loose with his gleaming spanner.

In case it's relevant, last year the car failed its smoke test and I had to hand over £1000 to get the injectors replaced. My scheme to achieve low-depreciation and comfortable motoring without paying Gordon Brown huge sums of money in company car benefit is looking a bit shaky.

Any advice?