View Single Post
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 16:47   #6
canis
Non Fragile

Back street garages are the best. The reason for this is they can be ingenious and inventive, using parts which you've sourced, using half a part where the old one will do as you've described - for alignment purposes, see pattern parts never fit quite fight and need fettling. So chopping through an area where alignment is irrelevant is perfectly normal, the existing part remains aligned and the new part marries up to it. And it sill needs painting even if it's the same colour, which in reality is unlikely anyway. There's almost certainly going to be several variants of the colour during the production run of the car, they're never quite the same.

Think of it like buying a new kitchen. You might want this, or that, due to the layout of your room and it'll be "We can't do that." But a good carpenter could, if he just was a bit inventive and would actually chop and saw something instead of relying on off-the-shelf parts to just magically fit your house and filling the gap with yet another wine rack.

I've worked for high street-garages, and they're the ones of which you should be suspicious. They look professional with their liveried shops signs, their immaculate floors, their fancy overalls - but you pay for all that. And theprices seem reasonable ... well, that's because they're cutting costs and doing the bare minimum. They also rush everything. I was under constant pressure, and was unable to keep up with the work flow. It simply didn't meet my standards, but the boss didn't care about that at all.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: