Thread: D5 Cambelt
View Single Post
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 14:03   #18
krzemien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Not quite true ...

The aux belt is changed every 54000 MILES or 10 years ( with cambelt ) it is the Miles which are important not time ..

The aux belt tensioner ( And belt again ) is changed every 108000 miles or 10 years with the cambelt ...

that is for the 5 cylinder diesel 2007 onwards
Indeed and very true so. Putting aside genuine cases where belt / tensioner deteriorate, of course, and need to be attended to.

There were quite a few exchanges on this subject here over the years and it still remains a mystery, compounded by dealer's pushy attitude...

The problem is dealers mistakenly (or rather: knowingly) sort of misread information in VIDA and claim that this needs to be done on 54k service (for 18k interval) or its multiply, without any consideration to both vehicle mileage or age.

I have had this pointless conversation nearly every year when my vehicle was serviced, with:

0. Dealer having added a note to my service sheet / invoice that I refused to have it changed back in 2011 (car was still under its original warranty. Mileage was below 54k. It was service #3 [54k] indeed)
1. Aux belt being swapped FoC by dealer back in 2017 - it was done without my prior knowledge and authorisation
2. Main service carried out incorrectly earlier this year as customer representative was very much more interested in getting me to have cambelt changed (ahead of the time, but it was service #10 [108k] indeed) rather than concentrate on the service activities themselves.