View Single Post
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 23:54   #44
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I think it is quite clear that this was a lot further than a mock up and as Keith has already stated the plan was to take the car for inspection once completed. There is absolutely no problem with doing a DIY installation from a legal point of view and there is a UK forum that offers help with DIY installation and repairs.

So the problems

1) The Tank

now as it could not have been secured in as the boot floor had been cut out we don't know for sure how it would have finaly ended up.
The valve is facing the wrong way and should be at the back of the car rather than the front as it is.

The problem with doing this is that with a low LPG under acceleration or climbing a hill the LPG pick up pipe will end up taking vapour rather than taking liquid as it should. That will then result in a lean mix with a mixer ring installation as chosen.

It does also look to have started rusting. The testing installer would want to fully inspect the tank possibly inside and out.

2) Vapouriser mounting

With a mixer ring installation the vaporiser has a load sensitive diaphragm (or in the case of the one shown 2 diaphragms) the must be positioned in line with the car front to back. It has been mounted more like side to side.
The result of this is that there would be fuel mixture control problems that would be likely to cause running problems and engine stalling.
The OMVL does tell the direction that is should be installed

3) suitability of the system?

As the 960 is fitted with lambda controlled fuel injection system with multi port firing then a multi point LPG system should be used. Furthermore the 960 inlet manifold is not of solid metal construction but joined with rubber link hoses. Only engine with solid metal manifolds are suitable for use with mixer systems.
To make matters worse the 960 has a very big chamber in the inlet manifold that would hold a lot of air/fuel mixture. When it does backfire the volume of fuel creates a massive explosion as has been experienced by a forum member here
Quote:
Originally Posted by M D E View Post
I strongly agree with Classicswede....Don't do it, I say this as my 960 had a single point and after 10,000 blew up ! ......

The explosion blew the inlet manifold clean off which in turn set alight to the engine bay, I managed to put out the flames ......but it took out the main engine wiring harness.......and most of the engine bay.

To cut a long story short ..... it took 7 months for volvo to repair, £8500 and lots of time and effort and had to buy another car in between .... (this was a few years ago....)

I now have a C70 running on a stand alone direct injection multi-point BRC LPG system........the Only one to go for.

Just speaking from experience.....
and it would be fairly safe to assume a mixer ring installation was responsible for this one
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/649534

The combination of the incorrectly positioned vapouriser and tank valve is almost certain to cause lean mix problems resulting in such a backfire.
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: