View Single Post
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 18:31   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Exclamation Lpg diy?

I have to echo the comments of the other posts on here. LPG is a DIY proposition, but only if you know what you're doing. The principle is quite simple but as with anything simple, the devil is in the detail. The labour content of a conversion is around £500 to £600, and the job takes the experts 3 to 4 days.

I'm surprised and a bit concerned that the kit supplied doesn't have clearer instructions.

If the kit you've bought is designed for DIY then the instruction manual is part of the kit and must meet the applicable regulations. If the instructions supplied are not clear then it makes me wonder what other small but important details might be missing! Part of my job is writing instruction manuals and service books for medical equipment, and these days, short cuts and missing detail is just not acceptable.

The picture illustrates the Tartarini set-up in my V70 2.5 auto. However, the kit you have may have different requirements and I think you'd be well advised to go back to the dealer who supplied the kit and ask for their guidance. Get it wrong and you risk the car not running properly. At worst it could be dangerous. I reckon you're also likely to find that if you can't get it to run properly then you'll end up paying far more for someone else to put it right.

There are stories on here of LPG conversions causing problems with the car's ECU, triggering the engine management light, poor running etc etc. If you've handed the job over to a fitter that's his problem. When you do it yourself then it's your problem.

As the kit suppliers have said that they're prepared to inspect and certificate your installation work then they should be equally willing to give you advice on how to fit it properly.

Of course it could be that they're hoping you run into problems so that they can then charge you even more to put it right! Be aware that there are cowboys at large in the LPG business.

Please take your time and think about this.

Cheers

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (60.5 KB, 49 views)
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote