View Single Post
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 14:02   #15
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Just thought I`d add my penny worth...
Like you I wasn`t sure whether to have a go myself or find someone to do it for me.
Anyway I`ve just done my T5 about 1000 miles ago and it really wasn`t that bad to do.Like the other post has said just take your time and you will save yourself a fair amount of money to boot.
The main problems I found were...
1.keeping the plastic cover on the inner wing out of the way so that I could see what I was doing-some string through one of the bottom holes and tied up to the suspension strut sorted that.
2.the timing marks are next to invisible- so make your own with snowpake or indellible marker at a place where you can see them easily.Just make sure that nothing moves and that once the new belt is on these marks are still in the same place.-Not as bad as it sounds,honest.
3. I could not get the crankshaft centre nut undone.-thought this was the end of the line and I`d have to put it into a garage.Found that by undoing the lower quadrant part of the inner timing belt cover that there is just enough room to work the belt between the back of the pulley and a casting lump on the engine case.This was the most difficult part of the whole job. Took about 20 mins of carefull wiggling before I was sure the belt was in the right place and without damage.
Apart from these points I followed a Haynes manual to the letter.Whole job took about 3hrs and as I said I took my time.
An aftermarket belt kit from eurocarparts for £104 and I`m quids in.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote