Thread: S40: - D4192t3
View Single Post
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 14:28   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezzavolvos40 View Post
Thanks finally locked the crankshaft. I hadn't looked through the cover slit properly.
I am now looking to buy a replacement timing belt kit. There is a cheap kit on eurocarparts which includes tensioner for around £50. They also do more expensive kits (SKF) but does it really matter if I buy the cheapest?
Secondly does anyone recommend the water pump replacement (car is at 75k) at the same time?
It is a choise which is based on how much you want to spend or how long you are planning to keep the car. I personally prefer Volvo original bits, but there are a few exceptions for some quality aftermarket parts. My timing belt is due in a year, but I am planning to do it within the next couple of months or so and I will be getting everything from Rufe (Volvo Dealer), with the forum discount.

With regards to the water pump, many many people here say that the petrol pump is good for 150,000-200,000 miles and there is no point changing for a cheapy aftermarket one that may fail in a year or two. Not sure if the same applies to the diesel water pump too. In my case again, since we have 142K on the clock, I am thinking of changing it anyway.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote