View Single Post
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 14:33   #15
I-S
Premier Member

Our car recently started suffering from this issue - first occurence was a few months ago when the car was parked outside in the rain pointing steeply nose-down. At first I thought it was to do with the sunroof as the drip tray was very wet.

However, it's occured twice more in the past couple of weeks, and was significantly more water this morning (dripping from the interior light cluster).

I've had a look, pressed the screen from the inside and there's clear movement and able to lift the screen away on the passenger side at the top.

This lunchtime I've taken the car to a windscreen fitter (since it's clear from this and other threads that Volvo are going to be no help whatsoever), and spoken with them.

They've offered me two resolutions - they can inject some new bonding agent from the inside for £25, but they stressed that that would amount to a temporary repair and that once it's started going it's going to get worse. For £75 they will remove the screen, remove all of the old bonding from it and replace it with new bonding. So, that's what they are doing now.

The chap at the windscreen place said this is becoming a very common problem across a lot of manufacturers, and that PSA are now only warrantying the windscreen bonding for 3 years. He also said that the cause of the failure is from the factory - they apply silicone oil to the suction cups that hold the windscreen and the silicone oil contaminates the bonding agent and causes longer term failure. The vehicle manufacturers are aware of the problem but since the vast majority of failures occur outside of warranty they have shown no interest in fixing it.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote