View Single Post
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 22:04   #12
somersetken

Quote:
Originally Posted by btjtaylor View Post
Hi all

I've found a few threads on this topic but they're a little out of date, mostly to do with new or nearly new purchases

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on how these transmissions are holding up now that the cars are aging? There are a lot of V50s for sale in great condition but with high mileage, which doesn't bother me in principal, but these expensive transmissions can be a worry,

I'm looking at buying a used V50, i'm only interested in Auto cars but i've noticed that theres many cars for sale with either a Powershift or Geartronic transmission.

From what I understand, Geartronic is more a traditional auto whereas Powershift is a DSG equivalent? My general thoughts are that a traditional auto should last longer and be less expensive to fix (at least from my experience looking at VAG cars), but I don't know if this carries over to Volvo?

I had a DSG Skoda a few years back and liked the way it drove, but i've also had traditional Auto cars in the past and don't mind a more slushy gearchange, so really i'm looking to choose based on reliability not driving performance,

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Ben
My Powershift clutch is being replaced at the moment, when it was purchased there was a slight delay getting into reverse gear...had a box oil change just after I bought it.....then in a queue on the M6 a few weeks back it went bonkers and bang a couple of times.....good job I have a purchased warranty on it but it is still going to cost 2k....I love the car and it drives brilliantly...but even small niggles on a drive will not show up as a problem...
somersetken is offline   Reply With Quote