Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 18:39   #1426
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Funny looking bottle opener!

Nice work there Alan, glad you got it shifted, part of me is wondering if you should pull the dizzy out and renew the "O" ring on the body seal, cleaning the body and the orifice at the same time. Smear a little silicone grease on the body/"O" rin before reassembly then obviously recheck the timing.

You'll need to mark the relative position of the rotor arm to the body of the dizzy, preferably with the engine at a timed position and note that the shaft turns slightly as it moves in and out of the blcok.

Or you could just give it a dose or three of WMP, free it off and reset the timing and call it good.
I had treated myself to a shiny, modern ignition strobe that I could actually use in the daylight (the 1970's period neon was quaint, but a bit more difficult to read accurately) - and found the timing to be at 11 degrees (it had seemed a little down on power). The distributor is still really stubborn, but I managed to get a 45mm crow's foot to grip enough to get it to move (reluctantly, creaking in quite large steps too and fro,,, but move it did). After lots of fiddling backwards and forwards I got the timing spot on 15 degrees and all is running well now.

I still have a little problem about freeing off the distributor in the longer term, but now it is set correctly it should not need adjusting again until I next change the timing belt in 2025. I think what I'll do is give it a good application of WMP (applied with an artists' brush when hot - the capillary action then pulls it into the shaft) a couple of times per week for a month or two - then have a go at freeing it off again. I'm in no rush - I have about 5 years to get this issue sorted :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 9th, 2020 at 20:47.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: