Thread: 1800: - Antique Road Trip
View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 08:44   #5
tdz840
VOC Member

Its at a legal stage so no comment but wouldnt take a wit to figure out.
Appears his rental of classics to the public hasnt gone swimmingly well with several people contacting me to say they have Also been affected.
Damage:
Window winders- clearly had been used to close the door but i accept its not clear where the internal handle is on the 1800. I had explained but appears communication isnt one of their strengths. Pulling on the winders pulls it off the omega clip. Trying to reattach it and shut the windows galls the splines unless you have a positive attachment- they didn't
Alternator - broken sense wire. Probably occurred when they replaced a perfectly usable fan belt. What happened then was the alternator cooked a brand new 5 year battery. Luckily Halfords stood by their warranty.
Seat belts - just been rewebbed. But all the plastic fittings had been broken and left on the rear seat
Speedo angle drive - they replaced it but all it needed was the nut tightening. I mentioned this at handover as they had the lift making the job easier. Replaced without seals so it leaks like a bugger.
The fuel tank was filled with over a gallon of water. Due to the fact when they closed the tank lid the rubber seal had become dislodged. They carried on turning the car over so all the water and debris went all thru the system blocking jets, filters and pump valves. Had to take the tank out and strip the carbs made more difficult because they are side drafts.
Dent in bonnet - despite telling them how to shut an 1800 bonnet and the risks if they tried to push down against the cam they did it. Caused a dent which has managed to be removed but at a cost of £150.
The main issue remains the people that support the cars when on set. At their admission they know nothing of cars. Didnt even know what a choke was. The owner will say he attended but mostly it was these two with no engineering knowledge. The owner appears to spend most of his time on holiday and uncontactable.
I delivered the car to them and they asked me to pick up( for which they promised to refund the trainfare)
So im out of pocket including rental charges approaching £2K

As i say caveat emptor

Russ

Last edited by tdz840; Sep 23rd, 2017 at 08:48.
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote