View Single Post
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 08:42   #54
tickedon
Master Member

I guess you don't want my business then?

I've been using Chris Knott to get insurance for the last 4 years. After a renewal price rise last year and again this year, I decided it was time to shop around - so I came to these forums and saw the Adrian Flux advert.

I phoned up on Wednesday, spoke to a nice chap, but at the end what I can only describe as "pressure selling" began - the quote was only £10 cheaper, then it became £30 cheaper after a quick check with a manager, with the usual "it's a live systems so prices will change" and every trick in the book. As we discussed the detail of the policy, it seemed to be poorer cover in every way - higher excess, higher windscreen excess, windscreen repair charges etc. to the extent there might not be any savings at all.

I drive lots of miles each year including to rural Devon, and have had to claim for windscreen and also had someone drive into the back of me (thankfully no-fault claim so their insurer settled, but, the potential was there). The level of cover and detail is therefore important to me - I asked if the details of the policy could be sent to me. Then I got a spiel about "why don't you put a deposit down today, it's free to cancel if you do so before the start date? That'll give you time to read the policy docs". Funnily enough no, I'm not going to sign up to something without reading the small print for cancellation terms.

The chap did agree to send me the details - but sadly they've never arrived. He asked when he could call me back and I said late on Friday, he confirmed he'd be working until 7pm and would call - no call back arrived.

Am I unique in wanting to know the detail of what I'm purchasing before I buy? If so, I apologise for the fact that having a law degree, previously managing a legal practice, and now working for a company that sells high quality insurance (sadly don't cover cars with modifications) means I want to know the detail of what I'm buying. But I honestly haven't experienced such an old-fashioned 'hard sell' and reluctance to share details of what you want me to buy in years. I can only assume I wouldn't be very impressed when I saw the detail, hence the reluctance to share.