View Single Post
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 18:55   #29
oragex
Premier Member

Living in Canada, in my region Winter designated (those who have a snow flake on the side wall) tires are mandatory by law.

In neighbor US, the upper states have similar winter conditions to us, with snow, cold weather, etc but no such law.

Knowing what designated winter tire vs "all season" tires vs AWD or FWD means in real life winter conditions, and by real I mean only sub zero temperatures and more than 1-2cm of snow or ice, I am beyond stunned to see fellow americans driving with "all season" tires on AWD vehicles in winter conditions. Again, I am not talking about temperature breaking records or 2 ft of snow.

All season tires, if it was me, would be an illegal designation. At no moment an all season tire is an anyhow safe choice on more than 2" of snow or on ice. With or without AWD, with or without any number of bodies in the trunk.

When I feel bored, I enjoy opening Youtube and watching "wisconsin pile up" and various other winter highway crashes.