View Single Post
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 09:55   #37
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

nothing subversive or hidden agendas on my part just a new xc90 owner who loves his car and looking for solutions. Wikipedia entry on one of the low soot fuels below :-

V-Power Diesel

An Audi R10 TDI LMP race car, fueled on Shell V-Power Diesel
V-Power Diesel is Shell's version of an enhanced diesel fuel, similar, say to BPs 'Ultimate Diesel'. Like BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell V-Power Diesel is designed for modern compression-ignition diesel engines, to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.[3]
V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, created using gas to liquids (GTL), along with some extra additives designed to clean the injection system and improve injection pump and injector lubricity.
One characteristic of V-Power diesel is that it is a lot clearer and odourless than normal diesel, mainly due to the synthetic GTL component.
The fuel is slightly less dense than regular diesel so, per volume, the unit energy is actually lower than regular diesel. This is offset, as the fuel tends to ignite more readily (and thus has a higher cetane rating) than regular diesel, and a side benefit of this is that it tends to produce less soot during combustion.

Please note the last line. If a cleaner burning fuel is used thats less soot to block the DPF, not rocket science is it ?
I agree that I have posted an incorrect post on bio fuel levels in diesel but I did correct this immediately I learnt of my mistake. I am on a learning curve with this problem like the rest of us. I am following this line of thinking because I really think it has a possible benefit to all us unfortunate DPF owners. All readers in the volvo community can make their own judgements.

Last edited by chunderground; Jul 10th, 2010 at 12:16.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote