View Single Post
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 00:47   #23
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

[QUOTE=Daim;1197606]Not quite that with Audi.
The reason Audi all of a sudden "exploded" has nothing to do with "Vorsprung durch Technik". More so with a fantastic PR and ad campaign in the late 80ies and throughout the 90ies.
They then forced themselves into the premium branch by firstly making some "sporty" cars. The Audi "Ur-Quattro" was basically only built, to get the Rallye Quattro into homologation. The first proper "sports Audi" were the S1 and the S4 of the 90ies. Quality slowly improved, but the TV and media ads made you think it was all better before it was. The Hamburger agency did fantastic work - and that worldwide!
QUOTE]

It has everything to do with Vorsprung durch Technik as that was the embodiment of the marketing campaign here in the UK, with the UR Quattro being the"halo"car and the 100 being the big seller - promoted particularly on it's low drag co-efficient as part of the VdT USP.
I'd double check your facts regarding homologation...the Sport Quattro if I remember correctly was the homologation special - road cars built in very limited numbers.

Prufrock.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jul 1st, 2012 at 00:50.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote