View Single Post
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 21:54   #9
bob12
bob12

Think I put up a post about all this stuff a couple of years or so ago when one of the off-set 'rubbers bonglers' on the back box clamp hanger of my 745 (same a 940's) gave up the will to live whilst driving (the noise of the tailpipe dragging on the road and effect sends strange vibration up the driver's seat!!).

Fixed the back box on the road with some wire enough to 'do' a 40 mile round trip. One 'bongler' was still attached to the a snapped clamp hanger and the other had left company with the remaining hanger and the chassis.

Basically, the off-set back box hanger bracket as ^^^^ had failed at the minimal electro spot weld on one side and the other side couldn't cope with the stress.

Subsequently, I welded the hanger back on to the clamp (that will never snap off again!!).

Trouble was that the stress very shortly cause the mid-box hanger clamp bracket to play up. As it was Winter and, after a preliminary skirmish underneath to assess the extent of the 'problem', I took the sensible decision to get my mechanic to attend to it once and for all (or at the least until rust and age reappeared!!). For £100 he put in a new mid-box and set-up the length of exhaust pipe and silencers without stress.

Two years later with only a new mid-box we are still happily motoring!!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: