Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 22:20   #195
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
If you wanted a serious workshop impact wrench it would not be this one, or any of the similarly priced Chinese ones. If you want something that is good for wheel nuts and getting most troublesome nuts undone I think this would be fine - I would not want to guarantee it would undo (say) the hub nut on a FWD half-shaft (it might, I have not tried).

If you do want something that will remove hub nuts, crank bolts and the like I don't think any of the mainstream (DeWalt, Makita etc) 12v tools will do either. They mostly cost in the £120-£200 range, but only produce about the same torque as this Chinese one (although they will have more features like an adjustable torque chuck). In that case you need a 18v to 36v tool - I have not seen those under £300 (with a battery and charger - unless you already have those from a drill or whatever).

You pays your money, and you takes your pick - I did think of buying a 18v DeWalt, a mechanic mate of mine has one and it is excellent, but I just couldn't imagine I'd have used it enough to make a purchase worthwhile (it is about £330).

Just my thoughts Dave. I'm quite pleased with the Chinese tool that arrived today, I'll probably use it at least once or twice a month, and will save enough time and skinned knuckles to pay for itself pretty soon, but then it was only £42.
From that perspective Alan it sounds an excellent purchase. My last one was one of these :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036YHBMM

I think using it while changing the back axle in mine was what killed it though.
I had one before and lent it to someone one to find their cig lighter was wired back to front. Result - one set of fried chips on the control board!

Rewired it as direct control but it halves its usefulness in that i have to use a torque wrench to do the fasteners up again. Unlike the pneumatic ones, it is a rotary hammer (sounds like yours is the same) so doesn't hammer the nut along the bolt but round it following the thread rather than against the side of the thread.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: