Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Hy Dave.
There will be one problem:

Different type of teeth at the carrier.
Old style will be with 12 teeth
New style, and with ABS, 48 teeth.
You can't swap a axle with wrong teeth.
The cover will be to exchange. Zero problems to swap them. The old style of sensor will be very expensive now, IIRC 5 times of the new one.

Good luck, Kay
Thanks Kay, both axles have 48 tooth reluctor rings/tone rings and the donor car has ABS as does mine.

My main problem is the electrical connection to the sensor, the donor axle clearly has a socket to accept the same sort of plug as used elsewhere throught the Volvo, the 2-pin "D" shaped plug but i can't physically see how the connection is made on the one in the car.

Logic suggests that as Volvo often fitted whatever they had to hand, the loom would remain the same so the plug (in theory) to plug directly into either type of sensor should be on the car.
Then there's the possibility they changed sensor types at a given VIN number and all those before will have the older style with the threaded collar and possibly a different plug, those after will have the "D" shaped plug.

It has crossed my mind that the correct plug is further back in the loom and was tucked inside the spare wheel well, i'll look later today.

I really didn't want to have to change the covers, disturbing them and their gaskets is usually a recipe for oil leaks! Also i would then have to check the sensor to ring clearance and i don't think my feeler gauges are long enough to do that!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote