View Single Post
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 06:20   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomtail View Post
I am planning on buying a 240 Estate this summer, most likely mainland Europe due to much lower prices and if I plan on road trips to Europe anyway, right hand drive will be most suitable.

However I know little on the 240 models, so was wondering if there's some important things to look out for, specifially for a 240 model, ideally looking for the older, first generation models with the rounded headlights and straight bonnet.

Hopefully this can become my project car. Already have all sorts of plans for it and tasteful upgrades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
As Othen said, look for a car that's as young as possible; ideally you want a 2.3 Fuel injected model (B230E engine code) without the catalytic converter, and manual box.

Rust is definitely your enemy: mechanical bits can be easily and relatively quickly replaced/repaired but rust removal and replacemnt is time- and money-consuming,plus the car will be undrivable while the rust is being dealt with.

There are a few threads covering this exercise so spending some time reading them will give you some pointers.
With respect Venomtail, I think Loki is right and this type of motor car would suit your needs far better than a pre-79 one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184787836...MAAOSwfCNggxbU

... This will be far cheaper than an historic car, far more efficient, much better for touring trips to Europe, easier to get spares for, seems to have been well looked after and so on (this is just an example I found on eBay, I'm not selling the car!).

Good fortune.

Alan