View Single Post
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 22:18   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolvo 940 View Post
Hi all worth a try with crank sensor then?
The car was apparently running when laid up. Only have a voltmeter.
So would a crank sensor mess with fuel and spark?
How prone are ignition amplifiers to faulting? And would that cause this issue?
Cheers for the help guys

It would be worth a try with a crank sensor from the point of view that they have a tendency to go sooner or later and even if it isn't the fault now, you'll have fixed it in advance of anything else.

However, it must be said (and i know if i don't say it, Ash will say it) that there isn't any substitute for proper, methodical diagnosis. You're a bit limited with only a voltmeter but there's still a fair bit you can do.

The ignition amplifier modules (hidden on the inner wing behind the L/H headlamp usually) can fail but will usually give some sort of indication of impending doom.

I think i'd start with checking all your fuses. Time to get the voltmeter out!

When you look at a fuse, you can normally see the tops of the two contact pins in the upper face.

You can see what i mean there, the silvery bits either side of the "10" on the upper face.

Connect your voltmeter black/-ve probe to a good earth point. Switch the ignition on and check both of those silver contacts on the top face of the fuse and you should have power on each. Repeat for all fuses in the fusebox.
You may find some aren't powered up such as certain lighting or other fuses but most should show a voltage with ignition on.

Renew any that are suspect.

After that, if you've found any blown fuses and replaced them, give it another try at starting.

If it still won't, re-check any fuses you've renewed.

See how you get on from there, may have to go down a couple of other fault finding routes but let's check the simple stuff first!

As for "The car was apparently running when laid up." - i believe you, i'm just not sure i belive the person who told you that!

Wouldn't be the first time someone has sold a non-runner and insisted it was running last time it was used.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote