View Single Post
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 11:45   #12
lynns hubby
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesntwos View Post
I would agree with greasing the caliper pins if only as a preventative measure. My daily-use 940 has just had a seized pin. When I tried to remove it, it sheared off. The caliper carrier is now scrap and they are actually quite hard to come by. Volvo can get them from Sweden but they are classic parts so you are waiting anything from a couple of weeks to over a month. I was quoted about £50 for a new one but can't really wait that long so looking for a used one.
If you are good with a drill you can get the sheared pin out. Even if you do not tackle it yourself keep the carrier as an engineering shop will be able to drill the snapped pin out. (probably for a beer token if you can get someone to do it during thier lunch hour).
As it happens I have just had the exact same problem with my Trooper rear brake. Bought a new carrier and slider pins as I work away and was not due back to work for a couple of weeks. Brought the old carrier out to work with me and I have drilled the old snapped pin out. Well I drilled and tapped it M8, then used a long M8 bolt with a nut and washers with a larger nut to draw against used the M8 bolt and nut as a "Puller" worked a treat so I now have a spare.

Obviosly, prevention is better than cure so every time you check your brakes, clean and re grease the sliders.
I got caught because this was the first time I had seviced the Trooper since buying it.

Oops should have added, YOU WILL NOT NEED GO TO M8 ON YOURS. The pins are larger on my trooper than our 940

Last edited by lynns hubby; Apr 21st, 2018 at 11:47. Reason: Add Info
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post: