Thread: Rear Pad Wear
View Single Post
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 22:42   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
During the recent 2 year service of our XC60 it was reported that it needs rear pads which I was a little surprised at considering it's only done 22k.

The more worrying issue is that the offside pads are just about worn out whilst the nearside ones are only about half worn.

I have asked for a further investigation and it's going back in soon but was wondering if anyone here has come across a similar issue and any info on the cause.

Many thanks.

Mike
Nothing to worry about , rear brakes will wear more than the front when you do not use the brakes hard , the rears do most of the light braking work , differences can be caused by the Electronic Brake Force Distribution system . All 4 brakes are no longer all applied with the same pressure , it varies with circumstances , also the brakes will apply themselves individually depending on what's going on . 22000 miles is a bit early but how many mm of pad is left? I guess you have an auto gearbox ... I would say the average life of rear pads is from 36000 miles onwards and front ones from 54000 miles onwards , with discs being changed every second set of pads .