View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 11:46   #8
one black hat

I know you're right Andy, I meant to thank you for posting the link to the cheshired5 thread regarding buying the vida/dice set up. It makes perfect sense to have the set up to hand if I'm going to stick with the car, so I'll be getting that sorted asap.
Reading the last few posts on that thread, it seems he hasn't got anything available for a few weeks so I've carried on searching for the needle in the haystack and I'm now 99% convinced it's in the CEM somewhere. You made the point about not just cleaning the unit but also the connectors, yes I had but maybe not as well as I could have. so I took the unit off again and gave it and the connectors a proper going over. Plugged it back in the next day and started the car. All seemed well, engine management light had disappeared and a short test drive went without a hitch. Pulled up on my drive, shut it down and left it for a while. Came back to the car, turned the key in the ignition and got a dash message saying 'immobiliser, see manual'. No dash lights at all and no starter operation.
No steps forward but another step back.
Disconnected battery and removed CEM again, more cleaning and checking connections etc, reassembled and all is now fine again.
As you said, without the proper diagnostics I'm just going around in circles.
I suspect I'll end up having to get a new CEM, everything seems to point that way. There's a firm called Volvo diagnostic who do a replacement unit, I may give them a call in the morning, just to see what they say.
one black hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to one black hat For This Useful Post: