View Single Post
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 19:00   #21
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The car is a very well maintained MY2012 XC70 so there is very little to do to it by way of repairs. I have started adding minor modifications and additions:

1. I bought a remote tailgate close module from Evgeny Kosourov and fitted it. Very pleased with the ability to close the tailgate not only with the key fob but also with the dash switch. A great mod.

2. I bought and fitted, although fitting is a gross exaggeration, a heavy duty rubber boot mat which is designed for the MY2012 XC70/V70 range and sits perfectly with raised edges to prevent spillages of liquids ruining the boot carpets.

3. I intended to uprate the sat nav map with on-line map downloads but found that on MY2012 cars this is not possible unless you have the sat nav operating software upgraded by Volvo. They asked £55 for the job and I thought that it was worth it to have free map upgrades for life. Then the main Volvo dealer couldn't get the software update to load and asked Volvo UK to do it remotely by computer internet connection. They couldn't get it to load either and pronounced the sat nav unit faulty. Under the Volvo warranty they replaced the sat nav unit and of course to do so necessitated loading the operating software and the map which were both the latest versions and because this was done under warranty it was free of charge. So I now have a new sat nav which accepts free on-line downloaded map upgrades and which has the latest map loaded without having to pay the £55. Most pleased with that.

I'm looking around for possible ECU rewrites to uprate the power output and hoping some computer literate enthusiast will see the value of fitting some form of more usable mode selection for the suspension system that doesn't involve taking your hand off the wheel and your eyes off the road to fumble behind the transmission selector to find the right setting for the road on which you are driving from moment to moment. Any bright ideas out there?