View Single Post
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 14:24   #1
namfreak

Default D4 engine oil overfill warning

Couple of weeks ago I had my V90 with D4 engine into the dealer to attend to an "Oil Overfill" warning message

No oil had been added in the 8 months since it was serviced, so I suspected it was the issue that affected the old D5 engines in the V70

That issue, as some owners will know, was diesel dilution of the engine oil. Diesel would get past the cylinder bores and dilute the engine oil. The Volvo solution back then was to fill the sump only 4/5ths full at service time - to allow for the potential dilution.

This time, the dealer told me that is not the issue. The D5 and D4 engines are of a different design and they do not experience diesel dilution.

Their words were "I can't tell you it's a software problem" (accompanied by a wink and a smile)
So essentially there is a software problem that Volvo haven't yet worked out how to fix, that gives the oil overfill message.
Their stop gap solution, which they performed under warranty - was to drain the engine oil, refill with new (4/5ths full) and change the oil filter.

Apparently the dealers are getting quite a few D4's come back with this issue now.

Oil level now shows at 4/ths or thereabouts under the Car Status menu

Good thing is my V90 will have had 2 oil changes in 12 months which is no bad thing

Thought I'd share as this will likely affect all D4 SPA vehicles.
namfreak is offline   Reply With Quote