Thread: S40: - Disc and pad renewal
View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2019, 12:48   #3
P156KWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
If you have access to another vehicle the best option really is to strip it down and take a disc and set of pads with you to the car parts store so you can compare them whilst there to save any hassle. Common occurrence with some vehicles. Either make note of the discs and pads for next time or repeat taking the current ones with you. Warped discs are usually caused by one of the guide pins becoming seized. Remove the guide pins and give them a good inspection and clean. Use a good grease on them, I believe silicone grease is best for the application but I just used a tooth paste style tube of brake grease. Also clean out the receiving part for the guide pins on the caliper carrier. I personally remove it and place it in a vise and use a perfectly sized metal drill bit as a reamer to clean it out then a shot of brake cleaner in there and cotton buds to get it nice and clean. I squirt a reasonable amount of the brake grease on the guide pin and twist it whilst inserting it back into the caliper carrier. Give the parts where the shoulder of the pads slide along a good clean and apply some grease sparingly. I use an angle grinder with a wire cup to fully de-rust the wheel hub and apply a very thin layer of copper grease onto the hub before fitting the disc which stops the disc from becoming stuck to the hub in the future. Can also do this to where the disc and wheel meet which makes wheel removal easier when needed.

With the rear brakes you will need a caliper wind back tool, the one with the 2 knobs I believe. Best way is to break down the brakes, removing the disc and the pads then refit the caliper carrier and caliper to hold it securely for winding the caliper back in. Then patience is required for winding it back it and make sure you get it flush so that the dust cover looks fully in, you will know what i mean.

Clean and lubricate like said earlier for the rear. And give the brakes a good pump before you drive it. The handbrake will need a bit of time to self adjust but it will get there.
Cheers for that, gives a lot of insight compared to the Haynes manual! The warped discs were a bit of a concern as of course you'd expect there to be an underlying cause for it.

We usually use copper grease for the buses but I'll consider buying something more specific. Thanks again for your insight!
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote