Thread: C30 General : - Few questions.
View Single Post
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 09:57   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteEnt View Post
Thanks mate, got one, but a tenner for a piece of plastic seems steep!

I have a question about the lights too!
This is my first Volvo and I've always known that the lights on older models, before the proliferation of LED DRLs, are always on unless deactivated by a dealer.
But as the dipped beams are always on, am I better using the side lights during the day to prolong bulb life?
Or should I just leave the switch in the "0" position all the time? Or does this affect the use of full beams when needed?
Also, why is there a green indicator light next to the side light icon on the control panel?
Well, if you think "tenner for a piece of plastic is steep" you dont want to dig too much into Volvo's OEM parts pricing ;PP
Especially related to R trim

As for lights - position 0 is Volvo's version of DRL but with all lights on (front&back&sides). However, by using PWM (Voltage modulation) in this position, halogen bulbs are not as bright as in position 2 (lights on) so in theory they use less power and should withstand longer. I think PWM is around 60% although for a human eye its hard to see the difference. In position 2 or when it gets dark, car switch to different PWM mode and normal "lights on".
EDIT - on position 0 your high beams wont "stick" - you can only flash but wont stay on. just FYI
Its up to you whether you want to drive on position 1 (parking) all the time and possibly forget about it once or twice (= battery dead and nasty surprise) or drive on pos0 at day and leave it to car to deal with it, but I dont know if trying to "save the bulbs" is worth it, especially that H7 are not expensive and easy to replace on those cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: