View Single Post
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 10:44   #1
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default My 'Bargain Basement' V70

When my 745 failed it's MOT 18 months ago on terminal corrosion, we had owned it for 18 of it's 27 years. We then looked for a nice 965 / V90 to replace it but could not find one suitable. This is why we started looking at V70s, as we already owed two FWD Saabs and would have preferred a RWD Volvo.

A year ago, we found an early 2000 'Classic' at a Dealer in Rotherham, up at £695. It fitted our requirements, and looked to be a good 'stop-gap' car. As it only had 5 months MOT left, I told him that I was prepared to pay the screen price if he would put a year's MOT on it. He declined, but immediately offered it to me at the 'trade' price of £550. We shook on that and I drove it 70 odd miles home without incident.

Fast forward to December and I submitted it for it's first MOT in my ownership. All that it required was hand-brake adjustment and a little welding on the exhaust support bracket to secure a pass. That MOT cost me £50, so I was well pleased that my purchase had been vindicated.

Fast forward again to last week and it went in for the replacement headlamp (an advisory on the MOT) that I had previously purchased from 'Minty' of these very forums - highly recommended, to be fitted. I also asked them to do an oil service and general check-over / report on the car at the same time.

They advised that the brake fluid is due for replacement and the A/C, whilst working, requires re-gassing. It is also missing both it's N/S headlamp wiper and w/washer bottle cap (of all things), which I know about and am currently trying to source. The only other issue reported was that the EML came on intermittently - again I was aware, but it doesn't adversely affect the running - which they have identified as a border-line O2 sensor. All-in-all, not a bad result, I thought.

My point is that it is still entirely possible to buy a good, solid, reliable, comfortable car for a pittance, even from a Dealer. It seems to me that while 7 and 9 series cars have all now either died or achieved 'collectible' status (with concomitant prices), the V70 is presently where our 745 was when we bought it. This one is definitely a 'keeper' which we intend to improve (replacement seats and trim - that sort of thing) over time. A show car it is not, but as a working daily driver that lives outside, it is close to ideal.

Regards, John.