View Single Post
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 14:23   #22
john h
VOC Member

Cooling

Another job brought forward was to convert to an electric cooling fan. Two reasons: the original viscous fan clutch was leaking and hence can't be expected to operate correctly...

... and the new water pump I ordered has a shorter front end, and would have required an adaptor to refit the viscous fan

To make better use of space, I modified a 940 e-fan to fit on the front of the radiator. It's a close fit, but works really well

Pretty much invisible when the slam panel and radiator are fitted

I fitted an adjustable fan switch into the top hose.

The is wired up (via a relay) to operate the 940 fan at the lower of its two speed settings. This is to reduce noise, and the the load on my alternator which (at the momement) is the original 35amp!

When I have fitted an uprated aternator, I will add a dashboad switch so I can manually switch on the fan's higher speed, if that's ever needed.

Fuel tank

Although Olga's fuel tank is perfectly sound, with no rust holes or other leaks, it is full of surface corrosion from condensation. This quickly blocks up fuel filters. The tank will get a professional refurb - a friend is looking into that for me. As a temporary measure, I fitted the good tanks from my 1973 164E. Being a fuel-injection tank, there are some differences, but I was able to make it work on the carb 144.

john h is offline   Reply With Quote