View Single Post
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 15:53   #144
StatusRed
Premier Member

Well I can now say I've joined the ranks of the pollen filter changers as I've just done it!

Took me quite a while and was a right PITA but I think it's only because I was seeing what I could get away with and thought I had an extension bar for the right wrench when it turned out I didn't so I managed to get the 13mm CEM bracket bolts off with a ring spanner! - Don't ask me how..

The old filter wasn't even that dirty which made the whole operation feel somewhat pointless, I also thought I'd placed back the rubber mounts behind the bracket bolts properly but then found out (once I've done it all back up) that it had slipped down so it's currently not installed but seems fine??

My plan is to get the right extension bar so I can get the CEM bracket bolts off easily, reattach the rubber mount and clean out the CEM while I'm at it as a bit of maintenance at some point.

I also noticed that the removed Volvo filter had sponges stuck to both sides of it whereas the Bosch replacement did not..

Here's what I did:
  • Disconnected the battery
  • Started off lowering the CEM, getting it off of its bracket and pulling the carpet down
  • Started having a go at the bolts with the ring spanner, realised it was very difficult and decided to disconnect the CEM to free up some space
  • Start undoing the CEM connections, took a while to work out the funky connectors
  • I then realised there were connectors at the bottom which were now too awkward to get off as the CEM was almost hanging loose
  • Left on the bottom CEM connections and gave me enough room to do the rest

Here's what I'd do next time:
  • Disconnect the battery
  • Disconnect the bottom CEM connections
  • Lower the CEM, get it off of its bracket and pull the carpet down
  • Disconnect the top CEM connections
  • Move the CEM out of the way
  • Use an extension bar to get off the CEM bracket bolts
  • Replace pollen filter
  • Put back together

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak

Last edited by StatusRed; Nov 16th, 2018 at 15:56.
StatusRed is online now   Reply With Quote