View Single Post
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 14:02   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHill View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum and apologise if my problem is common and well known.
I bought this 2004 high mileage S80 automatic in February, it has run fine up until now on both petrol and LPG, apart from an intermitent report that the antiskid device needs servicing (any advice on this gladly received).

Last weekend I drove 300 mile to Cornwall, may have run the LPG a little low, when it decided to stop switching over to LPG. I have tried several times to switch it over manually but there is a total loss of fuel and hence power when I do. Runs fine on petrol. I did get a brief indication of things to come when it first refused, but a stop turn off and start again was successful just once, and a few strange change up or change down messages. But now no sign of LPG life at all

Any ideas or pointers please. I am hoping to be pointed to an economical way out of the problem, I am a reasonable mechanic prepared to undertake most things, so happy to follow a sound direction.

There is a brass elbow which takes the liquid gas into the evaporator , it's just after the solenoid valve which cuts the flow , all mounted on a bracket under the air filter , Take off the valve and unscrew the elbow from the evaporator . There is a spring loaded valve on the end which can stick , it should move freely when pressed with a finger , if sticking clean up with some "scotchbrite" or similar .. this is the most likelt cause considering the mileage and your symptom.
its best to exhaust the lpg line before you disconnect any pipes , but if it wont run on LPG may be difficult in your case so expect a small hiss of gas when you undo the pipe to the front solenoid cut off valve .. it wont last long ..