Thread: V70 d2
View Single Post
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:42   #7
Model flyer
Master Member

The auto gearbox is quoted as being sealed for life .Why Volvo perpetuate this idea I dont know , its nonsense and the oil wears just like any other component. The gearbox manufacturers recommend oil changes and they should know . We changed the auto oil in my sons S60 D3 5 cyl earlier this summer . He bought a 20 ltr can on the net cost about £85 a saving over the Volvo price . A similar quantity of oil we used for his previous V70 cost well over £100 from a discounted volvo dealer on Ebay. Check spec thoroughly and make sure to use suitable fluid .
We dropped the oil from the box and it was very black and felt stickier than new oil. Spun motor briefly and allowed the oil to stop draining . Re-fit drain plug and fill to level , the level plug is up inside the drain plug. Run engine and move through the gears a few times . stop engine and drain again . This only drains part of the oil as the torque converter and valve block and oil cooler still hold oil . we repeated this three times and the oil was coming out looking virtually as new . Finally fill to level , run up to temp approx 60 C then remove the level plug and check and adjust level if needed . It seems like a waste of oil but its not possible to get all the oil out . You may have to have the software adjusted for the new oil as it will be a lot thinner than your 170k oil . It all doable on the Volvos . Great cars . I have moved on to Jaguar now after nearly twenty years with Volvo I fancied a change but still rate them.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post: