View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2021, 20:55   #1
Goatherder

Default Orange peel paint on a new car

Before I start....this is subjective to everyone, so this is a posting of awareness and seeking peoples' opinions. No flames pls (like on the US forum!)...we are all grown ups here.

So, I purchased a new 2021 XC60 in Onyx black. On first wash, noticed that the vertical paintwork (sides) had what I believe to be significant orange peel. The horizontals (roof/bonnet) were fine.
A friend of mine purchased a new XC40, in Onyx too....and exactly the same level of orange peel. Back at the dealers, mentioned it, and we had a walk around the car park....and any of the darker (new and new'ish) cars all had OP to a certain degree (just IMHO, not as bad as mine). Dealer believed it was to do with the newer water-based paints used by manufacturers, but said they would contact tech for advice.
I posted (moreso in error) in a US forum....and got all kinds of people saying "yeah, all cars have orange peel" and "my $250k supercar has it, stop whining".
The dealer ten referred me on to a Volvo approved bodyshop (actually a Kia dealer!), where they measured paint thickness and took photos with the view to pushing a report back to Sweden for comment. The tech basically said he has not really seen anything this bad on a Volvo, as the paintwork is normally very very good, but even the Kia's there had OP !
So, really...has anyone actually noticed this on their new car ? To me, this is Volvo cutting some corners on the paint process, which is pretty poor for a £50k car, in my case. I feel a little bit peeved and it is simply being deemed "acceptable" - this is a manufacturing "fault" and it is not just the XC60's out of Gothenburg, the XC40's from Ghent obviously have the same process applied.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (46.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (49.2 KB, 186 views)
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote