View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2018, 10:12   #431
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake 4000 View Post
My current vehicle of choice is a beaten up, unloved 2002 V70 that I swaped for a Fiat Punto that was given to me... the car owes me nothing. Since taking ownership I've probably put about a £1000 into the car, but the reason I've invested in the car is that it feels like its worth it. Its eye wateringly expensive to run, I'm getting 25 mpg... a friend of mine runs a Merc 6.3 AMG and gets 18, like for like miles. But even so, the car has something. So far its been easy to work on a big plus as i do my own servicing and repairs, its a pretty car, the drivers seat is a wonderful place to be and I feel much happier with my young daughter in the Volvo than I did with her in the Fiat.

The only thing I don't like on mine is the steering lock, I could u-turn a cargo ship faster.

Would I buy another Volvo, yes, but would I buy a new one; no.
I think 'Beefcake's response sums up the dilemma very well and is one with which I fully agree. It reinforces my own view that the owners of older Volvos are more likely to buy another than those of newer ones.

Like 'Beefcake' I run a V70 (mines a 2000) bought two years ago as a 'trade sale' from a dealer for £550. It has since passed two MOTs with only minor rectification, runs well and returns 29.5 MPG overall. It replaced a 745 that I had had for 18 years.

Over the past 34 years, I have owned 13 Volvos, some conconcurrently, and my wife a further 4. So yes I have and would buy another Volvo, but, also like 'Beefcake', not a new one - mainly because I could not afford one, but also because they are more complex with potentially much more to go wrong!

I would say to 'Beefcake' that while 25 MPG is not unreasonable, the car will return more depending upon the usual variables. For those of us who do little annual mileage, specific fuel consumption is rarely a major concern anyway. Coming from a RWD car to the FWD V70, I can only agree regarding the turning radius - the 7s could turn on the proverbial sixpence!

Regards, John.