View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2018, 15:54   #1
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.
Default Rear Haldex Flange Hypothetical query

In the near future I intend repairing/replacing my Haldex pump in my 2007 XC90 D5 Geartronic.

When I did this on my previous XC70, once the six hex bolts had been removed , the propshaft parted from the rear flange easily by inserting two bolts through the threaded hole at the rear of the flange and exerting pressure by tightening them.

On my XC90 the flange/prop joint looks far rustier.

Opinions Please!

If after removing the six hex bolts securing the prop to the flange, I cannot get the prop apart from the flange by the two bolt method, what are people thoughts on leaving the securing bolts out temporarily to see if the prop can break itself free from any corrosion by it's unsecured revolving action.

Obviously I am only talking about slow speed short distances and again only if the need arises although I have read about several people having an awful job trying to free the prop from the flange over the years.

Cheers

Thinking about this further I don't think it will work.

With the Haldex inoperative there will be no resistance for the prop against the flange and even corrosion will probably be quite sufficient to hold everything in place thus not helping me at all.

At present I'm just trying to think around the problem if it arises when I attempt to remove the rear of the prop rather than have no answers to hand.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; May 8th, 2018 at 16:44.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote