View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 06:46   #149
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Well.. I don't know your age..
But I do know mine

One day I will simply be forced something that maybe isn't even advertised today.
And I want it to be a car that's controlled by ME.

In a way, I wish you the same (that is- that you will live long)

But in the sane time, with my in-breed level of optimism and faith in human kind (in a scale 0-10 it'd be somewhere around -3), I'm afraid that there will be no choice but some gizmo-loaded contraption bred by marketers instead of engineers.
I take your point Thomas, I'm an old fart, however that is beside the point for the right car can be used by my descendants.
The 26 year old landrover is a mechano car, it was designed to be fixed in a field with a house brick. I am in the process of fitting a new galvanised chassis, I have a mig welder and I have the knowlage to rebuild any mechanical part that will fail. Any enthusiast with my abilities which are in no way unique will be able to keep that car running for ever. A far easier job than trying to make sensors compatable with obsolete systems.
The only electronic bit on my car is the central locking module and a work around useing mechanical relays is already on the drawing board.

We have to be grateful to those whom change their car frequently for the jobs it produces, designed obsolescence has been with us a long time, however sometimes someone cocksup and designs a car that can be fixed. If you care not about new such cars are a godsend and are often disregarded by those whom do not know their true worth.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote