Thread: Should I buy?
View Single Post
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 16:20   #14
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I had a 2006 X-Type Jag 2.0D as a company car from new until it was 3 years old with 126k on it.

I'm not sure if it was the same engine that was in the S40/V50 I think it was a later generation is it looked and sounded quite different. It drove well but by the time it had done 80k most of the fuel system had been replaced - injectors (x4), 2 x EGR valves, HP pump and a variety of sensors. It drove well and it never left me stranded but had it not been for the unlimited mileage warranty it would have been a very expensive car.

Also had two oil leaks on separate occasions from front and rear crank seals.
That's an old Ford Puma engine. When a Mark 3 Mondeo or a Jaguar X Type can be heard approaching, I think to myself "Here comes a Transit van."

They did have seriously dodgy diesel pumps and injectors. If the pump started to fail, little metal fragments would end up busting the injectors.

I ran a TDCi 2.2 version of this engine up to 160K miles without a serious issue, but I suspect that this was just good luck.

When I placed a deposit on another example at a used car dealer and then told them that I did 25K miles a year, they got frightened and tried to stop me from buying the car. I think that they knew that it had a problem that wouldn't manifest itself over 3 months of average driving but that might cause them a lot of expense in the 3 months warranty period with my mileage.

So I bought a Volvo V70 instead.

Last edited by Sotosound; Apr 9th, 2020 at 16:53.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote