Thread: Amazon: - Brake System Upgrade
View Single Post
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 20:29   #12
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilline View Post
How will you mount the Wilwood pedal assembly? Will the master cylinders end up in the engine bay or in the car? I'm curious as i need to do the same thing as i have converted my Wagon to P1800ES disc rear end and big Brembo calipers on the front.
Ideally the new pedal assembly will mount where the stock master cylinders are now, but as low as possible. The one I was looking at by them (that I linked to above) would put the master cylinders in the engine bay, like the stock setup. However, the Wilwood pedal arms are much shorter than our stock pedal arms so I'm worried they won't be able to reach down far enough to work properly. I don't want to have to modify my firewall to make it work so I'm going to build a rough scale model of this Wilwood pedal assembly out of 1/4" plywood to see if it will all fit properly or not.

So if it won't work then option two will be to not use the Wilwood assembly at all and just make a new custom brake pedal arm. This custom arm would be the stock 15" length, would pivot from the stock top position, but would have the master cylinder pivot point at around 2.5" instead of the stock 3.12" to change the pedal ratio from 4.8:1 up to 6:1 ratio, and would have a large smooth bore tube welded in to allow the Wilwood balance bar to be used. Then the two new brake master cylinders would just need to be mounted about 5/8" higher up than the stock one. Honestly I'm kind of leaning towards this option since it would still look very stock and I could use the $200 that the pedal assembly would cost and put it towards other parts.

I'm interested in the front Brembo calipers you mention. Are they a readily availible bolt on from Brembo? Do you run stock rotors with them? If so a part number would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Are not changing the front calipers? 4 pot 131 (68 -70) calipers pull up much better than the single cuircit 3 pots.
It's been pretty hard finding information on the dual circuit calipers. I'm assuming these are them for sale? Would they they bolt onto my car without problems? Do these calipers have the dual inlets designed for the dual line systems or are they single input type? Any info you can provide would be great. I'd really like to upgrade my front calipers as much as possible considering that I'm going all out everywhere else at this point.