View Single Post
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 09:37   #9
Phaedrus68
2000 V70 P2 VAG 2.5TDi

I was kind of asking generally, rather than actually considering replacing my own.

I'd rather keep my cars (and bikes, when I rode) than replace them. My Corolla had 276,000km on it when I sold it ((60,000 or so on it when I bought it).

I prefer the practice of spending the money on keeping a car you like running, so long as it's fundamentally sound. It'd be nice to have a year here & there where it cost nothing more than ins, tax, diesel, and routine maintenance, but with older stuff, you do expect more maintenance/repair costs than a newer lower-mileage car.

Agree with looking after your car being a factor. The phrases "run it into the ground" and "it'll go forever" are common, and each interesting.

Running a car into the ground is not what I'm talking about here. Running a car into the ground involves driving it hard ("mechanically unsympathetically"), not adhering to some sort of maintenance schedule, crude-bodging rather than quality repair, etc.

Most cars will "go forever" if they're looked after, and you're of the mind to keep it on the road rather than replacing it once costs start creeping up.

In my case, I'd like to have been doing more preemptive work all along (as I've done with all my cars & bikes when in full time permanent work), but circumstances have restricted that for me, though I have looked after the fundamentals. Mine is a 2461cc diesel (apparently with an Audi-built engine), it's a 2000-registered car, but it's the newer late-2000/2001+ model.

I'd like to think that my V70 will be still on the road on its 20th birthday, and I'd be thrilled if I was in the driver's seat on that day.

Last edited by Phaedrus68; Apr 25th, 2015 at 09:42.
Phaedrus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phaedrus68 For This Useful Post: