View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 22:37   #13
Turbodave
VOC Member

I bought my current V70 in November with a working handbrake, which duly deteriorated over the new few months to the point where it was useless, offering almost no resistance at all.

Couple of weeks back I ordered the XC90 esque adjusters for the rear shoes along with Apec discs, pads, shoes and a fitting kit. Upon strip down, bits of shoe friction material fell out so the issue appeared obvious.

NSR was built up with no concerns, noted the handbrake cable and caliper looked newer than the OSR however upon doing the OSR, found the cable was pretty much seized solid so replaced that whilst I was in there... bit of a faff.

To adjust I backed off the 10mm nut at the handbrake (before stripping the discs off initially) and then with the XC90 adjusters wound right in (and greased) I adjusted up the cable at the handbrake until one side was dragging, then backed it off two turns then fine tuned each side with the adjusters.

Handbrake is now spot on, holds within 3 clicks and is balanced fine. Certainly no concerns with the Apec parts, though I wouldn't mix and match brands and for the cost, I don't think I'd just fit shoes. Belt and braces seems to be the only sure fire way of getting it working.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote