View Single Post
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 19:46   #9
Julianpms
VOC Member

Default Google Maps to Sensus Connect Route

More on this next challenge which the designers of the Sensus system have set us! I have now succeeded in creating and importing my own routes into the Sensus system. It's a feature which you might use to upload one of the many great touring routes available online, usually in Garmin .gpx or TomTom .itn formats or viewable on Google Maps. It also lets you overcome the limitation of the Sensus system of only being able to include four intermediate points on a journey, which may not be enough for a long holiday trip, for example.
The solution is not quite ready for prime time, though. Basically, I have combined the data structure from a route which I recorded during a journey in the car and exported via a USB stick, with new route data in "standard" GPX format. It then requires some rather clunky copying and pasting and manual editing of the GPX file before it can be uploaded into the car.
I am hopeful though that we will be able to improve on this. Wimorrison, I am sending you a mail offline with a bit more detail on what I did. I have also reached out to the great folks on the GPS Data Team forum who helped us get a simple solution to import Points of Interest into the Sensus system. Stay tuned!
I met Chris Wickers at the NEC Classic Car Show two weekends ago and have agreed to write up a feature on all this for Volvo Driver magazine, so that as many Volvo owners as possible can benefit from what we have learned together.
Onwards!
Julian.