View Single Post
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 20:52   #1
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Default Ford vs Volvo quality

Over the years I've probably made myself unpopular with a few fellow members as I've often commented on the quality issues that impacted some Volvo's during Ford ownership.

If you service a P1 XC90 and a XC60 back to back - as soon as you start you realise the FoMoCo based vehicle has self tapping screws into plastic plugs holding the engine undertray in place rather than the M8 bolts into captive nuts on the XC90...... I usually get berrated by someone whose still driving their dads B-reg Sierra and never had a problem...

Anyway I've just changed my pickup for a 12-plate Ford Ranger, the new shape one that's actually a Ford not a Mazda and I've joined the appropriate Forums.

F*** me what a crock of sh*t.

Piston failures between 40k and 100k not uncommon. Oil pump failures at any time - quite common - usually resulting in engine destruction. Ford know about the problem as they recalled all 2012 transits with the same engine but not the Ranger. EGR valves failing and draining the coolant down the exhaust, as the temp sensor is in the plastic thermostat housing sudden loss of coolant doesn't always register so - engine destruction.

This is the 2.2 engine that was in the Jag X-Type, Current XF & XE, Transit, Freeloader 2 etc. And it's cheaply made - the font timing cover is a steel plate pressing for cheapness and needs to be fitted with a centralisation tool, it's not a casting.

We moan about alternator pulley clutches not making it past 150k on D5's or Swirl flap arms coming off.... a worrying proportion of them don't make it to 100k on the factory engine. The only plus side is as they are made from cheese the bits to totally rebuild one cost less than £500.

Etc. etc.

It's rare that I regret being a lazy sod at school but I know now if I'd have worked harder I might have been able to afford a Hilux or a D-Max. Sorry for the rant but it makes me feel better (which is selfish I know).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 13th, 2020 at 20:59.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: