View Single Post
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 01:35   #15
ovlov007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov007 View Post

Inspired by the idea of a bit of rubber tube to centre my drill on the stuck stud, I ventured to find some rubber tube.....I didn't, could not find any, anywhere! So I started to create something else, which I'll get back to,....
So here I am to get back to that idea and share back! It might come in handy for the faint hearted, like me, who don't rellish the idea of drilling blindly!

So, as I said, I made my own version of a 'centering aid'. But for the job above, quickly realised it was too big!

My rear strut mount broken stud was 'shallow in in the hole' so to speak. But I still think this is a fair idea for studs that have snapped, deep into the hole, where a standard centre punch might not fit, and/or, when, you are definitely unsighted where you land your drill bit.

I'm sorry that I don't know what the fastener is that I have used came from. I was thinking some old decking then I thought, some old furniture perhaps? My shed is full of junk. I just cannot remember. I'm sure the visual will help you get the gist of the idea.

Find a fastener with deep cupped top, bore through the centre 3mm, cut off cupped top, smooth and clean, hey presto! You have a centering tool/aid for deep snapped broken studs! It can be popped in and held with anything to hand, chewing gum, putty, blue tac, I dunno, make it up as you go. Drill speed slow to start and gentle pressure throughout.

Hope it helps someone,

Kind regards.

Last edited by ovlov007; Mar 12th, 2024 at 01:37.
ovlov007 is offline   Reply With Quote