Thread: Other XC90 Problem: - Excessive smoke (inconsistently)
View Single Post
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 15:07   #17
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
The charged air pipe has fresh air only in it. No exhaust. With a perfect turbo, it would have no oil at all. A little bit of oil seepage is not unusual, but dripping oil would be bad.

If the oil dripped out, then I would concur with your conclusion that the turbo oil seals are failing
It wasn't dripping but there was fresh oil in the pipe into the intercooler. I wouldn't say it was excessive but there was oil in there.

Quote:
Whilst you have the inlet system apart, clean all pipework as best you can to get rid of the oil.
Even the intercooler, if possible.
I cleaned the pipework from the inlet box into the ERG unit and I removed the butterfly which was caked in crap. I didn't go further as I need to get some new gaskets before I delved in further.

I have sprayed in some carb cleaner which may help clear some rubbish out.

Quote:
It would also be worth removing the EGR valve and inlet pipes post EGR to the inlet system and giving that a cleanout as well. If the engine has a few miles under its belt, the inlet system post EGR may have some coke in it.
My plan is to have the ERG unit and Inlet Manifold cover off so they can be thoroughly cleaned with carb cleaner so I can rule all of this out as a cause for the burning of oil.

Whilst this is all off I will also do the PCV diaphragm.
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote