View Single Post
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 19:29   #1275
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
When I said disruptive - I meant in the markets of which his companies operate. And in Space activity, I suppose Space X has done that - but don't think it's because he's done something amazing and innovative, he's borrowed heavily from NASA's space program including the Shuttle and some more.

Same with Tesla really, not a totally new thing.

But that's not a slant on him - taking a good idea and making a commercial success of it is a great skill.
I was thinking more along the lines of the satellite launching market than the work they are doing with/for nasa.

The return and reuse of main stages is innovative, nobody else thought of it as important but it's turned a gentleman's club of companies charging hundreds of millions into a much wider field charging a fraction.

Early entrants like Tesla rarely survive in the long run but the well runs ones often make a lot of cash out of technology licences before they get taken over, I haven't read much on Tesla though to know how prolific they've been with patents.

I think the two companies say a lot about Musk, I'm just not sure what though! one is heavily invested but largely left to run itself to much success and the other swings back and forth in fortune through constant fiddling with the product line and social media meddling.