View Single Post
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 23:29   #10
Mick787

Firstly I don’t think my post was silly. You chose not to answer the question of what would you do if you were driving along the motorway and the ‘add oil’ message came up. Having a dip stick and a drop of oil, (not adding the full 500ml) gives you the option to move on.... if needs be and the marks on the stick concur with the message. Peace of mind. Belt and braces. Call it what you like. In my case, the dealership ended up checking the calibration of their oil delivery system!
Yes my tyre pressure gauge and tread depth gauges have both been checked against calibrated devices! I’m interested to know just where-which of the sensor systems in your car you choose to not believe in and why. Seems as though you may check your tyre pressures? Why, if the sensors are that good?
Relying purely on electronic sensors in my opinion is foolish, they can all fail. The OP expressed that he could not see a dipstick. I told him where the stick is on my car, if he has one on his vehicle he now has a choice! To look at the ‘techs dipstick’ if one is fitted, God forbid he gets a low oil message pop up.
None of the sensors will have a lifetime guarantee. Your eyes may need a pair of glasses to help them function. If they’ve failed, then you shouldn’t be driving. He will be able to see the oil on the stick, he won’t see if the sensor is messed up. The tech actually told me to check the stick if it happens again, (that was stating the obvious!)
It is interesting to see just how many people do rely purely on sensors, be it to change lanes, notice if lights are working or not etc, they have no idea of what their pressures should be or how their tyres are wearing until it is too late, defective suspension components can also show up on tyre wear. A sensor won’t show that!
I smile at the term, ‘the police option’ because I dealt with the results of poor driving, shoddy maintenance and ignorance etc for 20 years. Vehicle and road safety should not be sniffed at! No matter how many comments are put towards the way I choose to look after the vehicle I drive, I know I am doing all I can. Yes I’ve been into main dealerships and trawled through historic job records to find out who may have re used a nylon nut which came off and as a result caused the death of a person. Main dealer techs are not all squeaky clean. I’ve seen the end results of altered suspension components. Do I trust technicians? Do I heck! I know there are the odd members of plod out there who enjoy nothing more than getting stuck in to find out who hasn’t done their job correctly. Do all you can to keep your mind at ease and keep good records of visits to dealers etc.

Last edited by Mick787; Oct 28th, 2017 at 23:32.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick787 For This Useful Post: